Sunday, February 24, 2008

Polar Plunges and the Oscars

I just made the routine trip through all of our friends blogs we have saved on the top bar of our web browser. I just love it. There is one thing that all of those blogs share in common. 95 percent of the posts, pictures and videos are about their babies. It is so cute. It is amazing how quick they get bigger. We regretably don't have any babies to post on our blog (to the chagrin of our mothers)....did I use that word right? As I sit here on the couch, we are watching the Oscars. I don't think I have watched the oscars since high school. While we were channel flipping earlier and came across the Oscars, the same thought crossed both of our minds....call Heather's mom! Why, you ask? There is quite a family tradition of reading and talking about People magazine, and the stars contained therein. So Heather called her mom up to say hi and sure enough, she was watching along with us.
Speaking Heather's mom, last weekend Ellen and Dave, my parent-in-laws came out up from Missouri to visit us. For the most part, it was an in-door weekend. We enjoyed alot of time here at the apartment, relaxing and watching movies. We watched four movies while they were here! One of those was at the theater. We did get the chance to get out of the house a couple times. Since it was way below freezing outside, we went to the mall to join the power-walkers there and get a little exercise. Of course my exercise stopped not long after we encountered the apple store. It has a way of sucking me in. Heather however demonstrated quite the composure and did not get sucked in by any stores. Our only outdoor adventure for the weekend ended up being one I will probably never forget. I remember hearing about the polar plunge as a kid and shaking my head in wonder at what motivates a person to jump in sub-freezing water. Well as we wandered around in the car after brekfast on Saturday, we happened upon Reeds Lake and they were having a polar plunge!! I was very excited....I never imagined i would witness a polar plunge. So in addition to watching a few dozen people jump into the water with costumes on, we walked around on the ice and enjoyed the kite festival that they were having out on frozen Reeds Lake. (If you read my post last year about the frozen lake I happened upon, and swore to never walk on a frozen lake, well this was the same one, and we walked all over it!) It was strange walking on what was water a couple months ago, but there were dozens of people out there, running around and flying kites of all sorts! Not to mention "Kiteboarding" on the snow that was piled up on the lake ice. Here's a few pictures of our weekend!