Saturday, October 29, 2011

The weekend again! Another week of language school down. We love the change of pace on weekends because the weeks can get pretty busy with language school, the kids, and homework!

So two afternoons ago, Heather and some other ladies from MAF met here to pray together. Elise was taking her nap, so I strapped Ian in the front pack, and we just set out to walk around the neighborhood. I can't tell you how much Ian likes riding in the front pack. He loves to be up front and center, being able to see everything. He waves his little arms around in excitement. So as we walked along the road, a neighbor of ours was showing his cow to a potential buyer! (Not something you witness every day right?!)


It was a seemingly "well to do" husband and wife looking at the cow. The wife spotted Ian as we walked by and started getting excited. I stopped briefly to wave and say a few pleasantries as is "sopan" or polite here. I noticed the lady had taken her cell phone out and was taking pictures. I came a little closer and said "silakan" which means "sure, please do". She handed the phone to her husband and she jumped in the picture with us. After a few shots they traded places and the husband jumped into the photo. This would seem super strange back home, but here it happens all the time! I was kicking myself for violating my "always carry the camera" rule....I would have loved to have a shot too.

As I continued down the block I stopped and talked with several groups of people, almost all of the conversation was about Ian and their kids! I realized that my precious little son strapped to my chest is the best possible little ice breaker!

Here's a little bit of what we've been up to lately, in pictures....

These first several are from our outing today.  While most of you were watching game seven of the world series, we struck out to head downtown, taking advantage of the "kid window" when both kids are happy and travel well.  I think we left home around the fifth inning, which for us was about nine thirty AM.



Heather had Ian in the front pack, and I was carrying Elise.  We have to walk about a half mile to catch the "Angkota"...the little blue bus we mentioned in an earlier blog post.





Elise and Ian looking cool on the Angkota.  Ian's doing his best P-Diddy impression.  



After a while downtown, Ian konked out in the front pack.


School kids "pulang" or going home.  Kids go to school six days a week here.  They seem to go home pretty early.  But I think they start early too.  This is a society that likes to get up early!  It seems everyone is up and at 'em before five AM.  Not me.


Some MAF friends of ours here had a birthday party for their son.  Elise had a blast playing with the kids and doing some of the activities they planned.  The kids loved the "painting wall."  Elise was into her masterpiece.



Rainy season is here!  Every afternoon for the last several days we've gotten some rain!  We got rained on on the way home from a coffe shop on Friday.  Heather and Ian stayed dry under their umbrella.  Elise stayed dry in the jogging stroller....but I didn't!  

A little over a week ago, we had a few extra days of a break between "units" at language school.  We took advantage to travel and see some of the island of Java.  We went to a little beach town called Jepara north of here.  On the drive, we saw some things that, let's just say we didn't see every day back home.....



A school bus?






There's lots of little busses with wild paint schemes and spoilers on the highway.


Lots of trucks have guys riding on top.  Really?  Not legal in the US!


It's amazing what you will see on people's scooters.


And of course a cattle truck.


Working in the "sawah" or rice fields.  



Then.....the beach!


Ian enjoying the scenery from his shady spot with his "go-pod".







A newly maried couple on the beach wanted Heather to rub her tummy for good luck! (We didn't really understand why, but Heather kindly obliged.)  And of course she wanted a picture



What a fun, quick trip!  On the drive home we stopped at a store in Semarang, a larger city.  They happened to have pumpkins!  We got a couple for Elise to decorate....


We are definitely missing all the sights, smells, and tastes of fall back home!